Yuma Regional Medical Center's five medical/surgical units deliver a high level of patient-family centered care by ensuring that nurses spend as much time at the patient's bedside as possible. Each unit is staffed by a director, clinical nurse expert, resource coordinator (also known as a charge nurse), registered nurses, clinical associates, business associates and team associates. These care teams are committed to making frequent visits to patients' rooms to help ensure their comfort and safety.
In addition to caring for general medical/surgical patients, each unit has staff that are competent to care for a particular medical specialty:
- Cardiac Care Unit (Tower 2) - 36 private rooms. A telemetry (continuous cardiac monitoring) unit specializing in treating acute heart conditions.
- Chemotherapy and Renal Care Unit (2 West Medical) - 52 bed ward. Specializes in oncology (cancer) and dialysis.
- Stroke Care Unit (Med West) - 46 bed ward. Specializes in providing the most current evidence-based stroke care.
- Post Surgical Care Unit (3 West) - 52 bed ward. Specializes in treating patients recovering from a wide variety of surgical procedures.
- Observation Unit (Med East) - 20 bed ward. Specializes in caring for patients who need to be monitored to determine their medical need before being released or admitted to another unit.
Continuous cardiac monitoring is also available for patients with secondary cardiac conditions who are admitted to any of the above medical-surgical units.